Re: > loopist > musician > looper sync

>That said... It's extremely hard to really match tempos when tapping
>in 4 - 8 - even 16 beat phrases... but the longer the phrase the more
>likely you'll be able to hang together rythymically for at least a
>couple or more repeats. That's why (when not synched via midi) super
>long phrases are sometimes the way to go.

true

>Now with the EDP and it's quantize functions, I've heard that using a
>short segment and using insert or multiply to increase the length
>actually will keep it more accurately synched to a clock... midi I
>presume.

it works with MIDI, but better with BrotherSync. No clicks. And with the
moment you start recording, you can choose whether you will be synced or
not (to do the free stuff).
The advantages of multiplied short loops as base are:
- the player that comes in later can start with a short loop
- the multiples can be different for each player. Very interesting: the
rhythm goes on perfectly, but at each repetition, longer phrases on top of
it shift from each other.
- the second player can come in sooner.

Using BrotherSync in the version I am working on, the second player can
start his recording while the first is still recording. And it works free
like multiply with rounding and green counter!

No quantizing is necessary! You may choose it though, especially when
playing straight drum machine or sequencer stuff. I dont like it ;-)

         ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org