Re: Effect as crutch

While you can go out and buy just about every effect nowadays, and sadly
many of these effects are made to imitate previously existing musicians,
there seems to be an ever decreasing number of effects that are malleable
enough to let artists create their own new sounds these days.

Part of it would seem to coincide with the digital effect revolution. A
lot
of the high end FX units coming out these days are filled mostly with
presets, and provide very little room for user-created effects. (The same
goes for a lot of keyboards and drum machines lately.)

On the other end, effect pedals are becoming more and more mundane.
Instead
of making a few pedals that are adaptable to create many different sounds,
manufacturers seem to be trying to create pedals that make ONLY the sounds
that they think musicians want. Is this part of the reason why there's
such
a drive for older FX? I can do more with my EH Microsynth than I could
with
5 different Boss overdrive pedals. Lately, it seems like yard sales and
flea
markets are the best places to get new music equipment, not just because
it's cheaper, but because you're more likely to get gear that you can
actually use for creative endeavors. (And not 'imitating other artist'
endeavors.)

I shouldn't complain. I'm thankful that there are still EQ squashboxes.
I'm
thankful that DOD did create DFX 94's at least for a little while. And I'm
thankful for you. (finger pointing at you.) haha

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

Mr. Tough