Re: Negativland on tour...

>>> "X-ray" <ew37@bellsouth.net> 04/19 11:34 PM >>>
>>non-mentioning of the fact that it was ENO that came up with the
whole idea with the TV screens/satellite access and all, Again, credit
placed where not deserved.

> Hmmmm.  Not sure I agree.  U2 has quite often given credit to Eno
for the initial concept of that tour (even in the tour program).
Certainly the band were the "directors" of the production whereas Eno
was the one who wrote the 1st draft of the script (sorry for the
analogy).  I'm not sure it's fair to
suggest that it was Eno's baby and U2 were just along for the ride.

I remember Bono saying something like... "We finally have enough
money to do such a bloated grandiose thing... Why not? If not us, then
who?" I think he's correct in that statement... they were huge, had
the capability, so they went for it and staged an incredible, very
successful production. For it's sheer scope, it was certainly the most
modern and hi-tech I've seen to date. Sure beats the Stones bloated
retro machine...

>>Then I saw U2 making scads of money making music that sounded like
someone elses' work

> Just out of curiosity, other than the rootsier Joshua Tree/Rattle
and Hum period, who do you find them to be imitating???  Again, just
curious.

I think it became popular to disinherit U2 due to their tremendous
success... The Edge managed to assemble several existing simple guitar
techniques into a cohesive style... and has continued to experiment
far more than your average rock star type does... His stuff on Pop is
really cool... Great sounds... it is ROCK music... If you can't hack
rock, then sure... they probably suck for you. But I think U2 is a
great ROCK band... They benefitted a lot from their association with
Eno.

-Miko