Re: Negativland on tour...ENO and U2

First of all let me say I like much of U2's music.
But for the record, Eno saved U2's floundering career.
This is a well-documented historical fact.

U2's association with Eno was *Eno's idea* - he heard something
he liked that he knew could be B-I-G with the right amount of
coaxing.

Regarding the Edge's guitar style, I remember reading
an interview in Guitar Player or somewhere with one
of those dime-a-dozen Satriani/Vai/<insert lame
sound-alike speed-virtuosi here> geetarists. The
interviewer played a little U2/Edge music and asked
him what he thought about his style. The trog said,
"I don't hear it" (TRANSLATION: Where are the 500 mph
Mixilodian scales, ProCo distorto-box, and erzatz-Halen
power-dives? ANSWER: Up your myopic dinosaur ass.)

For the 'youngins' out there, The Edge was once considered a
neo-psychedelia reverb-monger (a good thing at the time)
along the lines of Echo & the Bunnymen and Teardrop
Explodes.

So..., it took a visionary like Eno to bring U2, and the
Edge, to where they are today, commercially and technically.

-Larry T