Re: Tape looping/sequencing

hi all,

just out of curiosity...

why do you folks want to do tape loops?  i think i would get it if
you already had experience with tape loops and splicing and such, and
had access to the equipment.  but if you're a total beginner to it,
and don't have any equipment and such...what is the attraction to it
from a creative point of view?

i would be interested...especially since we make alot of noise on
this list about User Interfaces and 'instant gratification' sort of
subjects...like "why won't this machine think like i do, so i don't
have to change the way i like to work".

as a newbie to tape splicing and looping, it would seem that the
learning curve would be pretty steep to 'get it right' and the
potential to get bogged down in the 'process' of making tape loops
could outweigh the creative output.  i'm just imagining how long it
would take me to create a tape loop that would yield the same results
that my DL4 would give me in a matter of seconds.

also, the methodology of tape looping isn't really 'original' at this
point.  people have struggled for years with the limitations of the
technology.  what drives you to do it yourself?

i'm not slagging on your interest....far from it.  i would just be
interested in why you're attracted to it.  the 'sound' of tape?  the
unexpected results based on the margin of error?  the mechanics of
building the loop?

best,

rich