RE: OT: why musicians can't eat -- and why radio is so bad

yep, recently I keep thinking about such things, too:

In German there is an old separation of music into E (ernst=serious)
and U (unterhalten= entertain). I used to hate it but understand it
better now.
When you speak about "art" and "entertainment" would you agree that
there is artistic entertainment and entertaining art and we all have
both attitudes to some degree?

Serious music would be the one that shows new ways (melodies can be
like trails...) and thus teach the individual to become more
complete, open, mature, independent,,,

Entertaining music works with what the listener knows and connects
him to some group (fans, social group, church...) which can give a
strong, euphoric,,, feeling, but it creates rather more dependency
than an individual process.

Now, how does someone realize that no one else is better at solving
his very task, that somebody elses trail does not lead there, that
happiness is an individual search?
Music can help to it, but its rather a natural step in a souls
evolution than something you can convince somebody about. We can
offer our music for such a process, maybe induce it "hidden" by
playing where/what people would not expect or interlace "serious"
deepness in shallow disguise...

While this, we may have to accept that the majority runs after
somebody elses happiness and does not understand why listening could
be a useful "work".

>i was discussing this sort of thing last night with a friend. people
>have to *want* to search out the "good stuff"  - - and i'm not
>convinced that anybody wants to search out anything unless it's the
>color of their next car.
>
>besides, maybe the are listening to the "good stuff" - - maybe we
>all need to get over ourselves. or maybe there have always been
>people who listen to music as "entertainment" and those who listen
>to it as "art."

** as much as i bleive radio pretty much blows. the truth of the
matter is that a lot of people seem to like it - - maybe WE are just
out of step.

I think it depends a lot on what you use it for. We maybe cannot
imagine what it takes to support a boring boring life...

I hope this is understandable, my English is not quite sufficient...
Matthias

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org