Re: Loop station

>>I just dont understand how those people can play together without any
>sync?
>>
>>I mean, before musicans looped, didnt the mostly try to play
>>together, tempowhise?
>
>This is an interesting problem (or "opportunity" if you choose to
>look at it that way).
>
>Since I didn't hear this particular session I can't comment, but it
>reminds me of some networked performances I've witnessed, where
>performers were in different cities. The transmission latencies
>between the different locations were extreme, more than a half
>second in some cases. Two performances in particular took place
>between Santa Monica and Nice as part of the Manca Festival.

wow, thats even worse: the musicians did not hear the same version of
their composition, right?

>I think a lot of looping performance is based on a different sense
>of time from non-looped music. It doesn't necessarily need to depend
>on a sub-pulse (or a "common beat" if you prefer). Even in the case
>of "pulsatile" music it is quite possible for different performers
>to march to their own separate "inner drummers." Anyone familiar
>with Steve Reich's phase music has encountered this sort of rhythmic
>consciousness. Conlon Nancarrow's music is another example of
>independent tempo streams, though Conlon had the advantage of
>mechanical players.

hm... this sounds as if it took machines to teach us to play off each
other :-)
... or to valorize it.
I also realized that some loops sound magic because they are not
acurate, but I still try to learn to make them acurate.

I dont doubt the shifting is interesting and sometimes expresses just
perfectly.
but to be limited to this all the time is different, no?

This reminds me of the first session in Rio with Vania Dantas Leite.
She said afterwards: "you are a genious, you can freely play off the
rhythm"
I blushed, because then, I really was not able at all to play on the
rhythm...
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org