Re: EDP "MetaButtons" - "Stored Procedures" - "Presets" - "Triggers"

At 01:49 PM 12/9/2002, Dylan DeAnda wrote:
>Is there a way to "Preset" different modes in the edp?
>
>For example, you have a "mode" that you use for a specific effect or
>function, and it's defined as specific quantization value, insert mode,
>record mode, etc.
>
>1.  Is there any way to define a "mode" and then call that "mode"
>arbitrarily?

yes, assuming you are using LoopIV. LoopIV has Presets that let you store
parameter settings and recall them. You can do this most easily with MIDI
program change messages, but it is also possible to change presets from
the
front panel.

see the Presets section of the LoopIV manual:
http://www.aurisis.com/products/loopIV/loopIV.html

>2.  Is there any way to store a predefined button sequence in the edp?
>Sort of like a "metabutton" that sets you up?

It depends what you want to do.

If you want this in order to edit parameters on the fly, it is likely much
easier to do the same thing using Presets. You can switch presets on the
fly much easier than editing the parameters. You can also use MIDI SysEx
messages to directly edit any parameter, but of course that means a bit
more programming of a midi controller.

If your goal is to be able to access all of the InsertMode functions at
the
same time, LoopIV now has them all available by MIDI. These are in the
VirtualButton set of midi commands, since they act just like the front
panel buttons would.   So for example, if you want to use Reverse,
HalfSpeed, Replace, and Insert all on the same loop, you could have a midi
controller set up with the VirtualButton for each one, and directly use
them. This is much easier than with LoopIII, where you had to change the
InsertMode parameter each time to program the Insert button to these
functions.

If you want to directly access functions that normally take several button
presses or long-presses to reach on the front panel, LoopIV helps you
there
also. LoopIV has a greatly expanded MIDI implementation, and the
DirectMIDI
set of midi commands directly access all of these more complex operations.
This way you can have a single button on a midi controller to do something
instantly that takes more effort from the front. For example, if you were
working with an external sequencer or looper and want to DeAlign and
ReAlign your loops, there are several flavors of the ReAlign functions
directly available by MIDI. From the front panel you have to press Mute
first, and then Multiply to use ReAlign.

(there are many more DirectMIDI functions available of course, for
example,
all the main functions have SUS action versions available in MIDI, in
addition to the normal toggle versions.)

>I'd like to trigger a prescribed sequence of actions while I'm
>scratching on the turntables or singing, so that I can focus more on one
>instrument than the edp.
>
><In rereading that last line, I think I answered my own questions, it
>sounds like I may just need a sequencer........damn...that's not what I
>want, I just want that functionality in my edp.>

If what you want to do is several different functions at once on a loop,
it
is possible by midi from a decent midi controller. You don't have to use a
sequencer unless you specifically want the actions timed rhythmically to a
clock. The better midi controllers will let you set up a string of midi
commands to go with one button. For example, you could have a single
button
that sends Overdub, HalfSpeed, and Reverse all at once. You can develop
some really interesting custom functions in this way.

kim