Re: the meaning of loop music

On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 08:53  pm, Kim Flint wrote:

> I don't think the tools or instruments used define the style or genre
> of music. The idea of trying to establish "looping" as a genre seems
> strange to me, even misguided.

I don't think that I have ever thought of looping as a musical genre -
more of a philosophy and a mindset that is part of music, but separate
at the same time. I think the only way of explaining my viewpoint is if
you imagine multiple 3-D Venn diagrams that overlap each other... but
the diagram becomes far too complicated to comprehend. Bah... I've
never been one at describing this in words... just music. Maybe looping
is a tool for the music, and music is a tool for the looping...

I'm actually not one for pigeon-holing music in any way. Once you start
defining yourself in a genre, then start you build barriers around
yourself which can limit your full potential. People often ask me what
my style is, and I say "I don't know".. its a kind of fusion of celtic,
ethnic, electronic, classical, jazz, blues, experimental whatever
style"... even then, with that broad explanation it does not truly
describe how I class my music.

But I'll stick with my viewpoint that I am a looper first and a
violinist second.

I tried to make a point with this post, but my brain has looped... and
I've forgotten what the point is. I'll shut up now :)

- Stu (and no I have not been smoking)