Re: LIVE LOOPING: a definition

I wonder if ideas like "live looping" or "free jazz" (my usual
pidgeonhole)
and the like don't overvalue our (we musicians) contribution to the
outcome. I've understood John Cage and his cronies as trying to get
intentionality OUT of music, and simply creating processes that result in
sound. They seem to me to be saying ALL of it is just processes that
result
in sound. Does it matter that it's live, looped, improvised, or free? I
know I struggled with my own (first) recording over whether to advertise
that it was recorded "live in the studio," no overdubs, minimal
after-processing. I finally decided that that was just some kind of
musical
machismo, and that the way it sounded was the way it was. I think Cage
(let's see if I can make this cohere) directed us to the idea that "music"
is really an act of listening, a stance one takes toward sound. Where that
sound comes from, or how it's made, is perhaps only interesting to the
makers.

Now I'm not sure if that was germane or not.

--On Wednesday, May 28, 2003 6:09 PM -0700 Tim Nelson
<psychle62@yahoo.com>