Why I said Andrees music may deserve its own name

Kim was kicking me about this question:

...and now Andre said:
>Matthias Grob, on the other hand, seems to have a very specific
>collection of aesthetic and philosophical guidelines for what he defines
>as "live looping."  In his words (as I understand them, anyway) there
>are certain ways this music begins and develops, and certain
>mental/philosophical states that are induced in both the player and the
>listener.  So much so, in fact, that he feels my own music represents a
>different path from the "live looping genre," because it deviates so
>strongly from his own definitions for that style.

I was not answering this question yet because I expected Andre to be
taken by other sorrows and wanted him to be present for this. Now I
am happy that you are back and hope that things are going as smooth
as possible for you, we have been with you...

First of all:
If you want to call yourself a Live Looper or your music Live Looping
music, Andre, I fully welcome you, it would mean that the label would
gain a magnificat musican.
But in the past you repeatly explained that you would not feel well
with that and I managed to understand it, giving value to your new
development which goes clearly beyond what most of us do and
understand as looping.

Traditional looping means that a played phrase is repeated more or
less as it has been played.

Sliced looping (give me a better name, as you please) means that
portions of phrases or notes are repeated in a sequence different
from what they have been played. If I remember right, Kim started
this technique when he had fun with sequences of short Inserts and
quick Next functions and posted this idea to the list. Since he does
not record or perform, it was Andre (probably inspired by those
hints) who worked out the first works of this kind and as a
consequence inspired me to improve those functions so that the EDP
gained a level of functionality that was not intended to it and may
turn it into the first tool of a technique other than what came from
the Time Lag Generator, rather comparable with the tape slicing of
the conrete music, if there is any precedent technique in the past
(please correct me here!)
Sine others have started experimenting with such techniques and
developped them further, I suspect that it may end up in a movement...

So considering this, you may understand in its totally positve and
not at all exclusive way what I said: "Or maybe some new category can
arise from the use of looping tools for which we may still find
names... (I believe Andre is on such a track)"

In other words: For Gods sake stop this stupid exclusion paranoya, I
am not at all like that and I dont see why I would have the slightest
interest in that!
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org