RE: pick-ups boosters?

does the zachary-vex "super hard on" pedal (also refered to as a 'negative
feedback' pedal) fall under the pick-up booster category?  oh my, that
little thingy made my sax sound cool. through effects and just the
subtlety
of things it picked-up  and amplified just expanded my range tremendously.

im thinking bout buying one. but then, will prob have to by a tube amp...
anybody know bout this...