book review

I recently came across a book at my local alt. bookstore, bought it and
have
been enjoying it so I thought it worth a mention.

The book is:

Audio Culture: Readings in Modern Music
edited by Cox & Warner
ISBN 0-8264-1615-2
paperback 454 pgs.

It is an anthology of short writings by a variety of contributors: John
Cage,
Brian Eno, Pauline Oliveros, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Glenn Gould, Chris
Cutler
and many more.

Organized into 2 main parts, Theory and Practice, the subsections include:

Music and Its Others: Noise, Sound, Silence
Modes of Listening
Experimental Musics
Improvised Musics
Minimalisms
DJ Culture
Electronica

Short bursts of ideas, concepts, opinions and perspectives that permit
abrupt
jumping around of topic, provoking thoughts and possibilities.

Starting points and stepping stones, I am fond of these sorts of
compilations, great for picking up and putting down at random moments.

BobC

www.cdbaby.com/rpcollier
http://trundlebox.iuma.com
http://tinyurl.com/yuru7