Re: Mixing setups for looping

At 6:55 PM -0500 11/23/04, CHRISROVER@aol.com wrote:

>Does anyone know of a small (possibly rackmount) mixer with at least
>4 sends or any other creative solution to using several sound
>sources and looping devices with multiple routing options (such as A
>to B and B to A without phaseshift or repatching) ?

"Rackmount" is a somewhat fuzzy concept, in that a lot of table top
mixers can be rack mounted (e.g. the Mackie 1604 and its
descendents). I generally tend to think of a "rack mount mixer" as
something with rotary pots in a one- or two-unit form factor, and
I've never seen one of those with more than two aux sends (I'd love
to be proven wrong about the existence of such).

My inclination is to go for a Mackie, Behringer, or suchlike mixer in
a table top (but rack mountable) format. Most of those I've seen with
12 inputs are limited to two aux sends. Most of those with 16+ inputs
have 4 to 6 aux sends. Those generally have pre/post capability (in
some cases individually assignable).

The Mackie Onyx 1620 is good in this respect. Not the cheapest or
smallest mixer, but of good quality with flexible routing. The Onyx
1640 has 6 auxes, but is much larger and pricier.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com