Re: (To Synth or not to Synth)

--- samba - <sambacomet@hotmail.com> wrote:
>   One of my favorite things to do is to sounds that
> seemelectronic on
> acoustic instruments-esp ones that aren't spozeta be
> instruments

Last week I was playing unamplified solidbody guitar
with a cello bow (just pseudo-practicing/messing
around, really) and my daughter came into the room and
said "Whoa, I thought you'd plugged your rack in, only
 really, really quiet!" It sort of went over my head,
and when she saw my confused expression, she went on
to explain that it sounded like "a whole bunch of
pedals, and you're not even plugged in!"

There IS hope for the next generation.

-t-

PS: the flipside of the 'acoustic sounding electronic'
theory can be valid as well. I know I'm probably not
alone in prefering synth tones and patches that are
more organic sounding. But NOT when it's a bad
imitation of an acoustic instrument. Many of the
clichéd early 80's digi-synth sounds really rub me the
wrong way. That's not at all the same as a blanket
statement on the order of "I don't like synthesizers";
I DO like (and use) them, I just hate *some* of the
sounds they make.