Re: OT: music biz article

I think you're absolutely right, Travis, about "an increasing number of
people who spend more time recording than performing." I think this has
already come to pass. I think this probably first took place in the 1980s
with the rise of four-track cassette recorders. However, the economic
incentive to spend countless hours with recording gear may be gone. I used
the term "studio masterpieces" to refer to commercial recordings that don't
reflect a performance-based aesthetic that are then embraced by a large
number of consumers. Y'know, "Pet Sounds" Smile" "Revolver" Sgt. Pepper's"
"Hotel California" "Houses of the Holy/Physical Graffitti/The Presence" "In
A Silent Way" etc. etc.

And of course there is the observation that, with all this recording gear
available, where are the masterpieces? My own take is this: the vast
majority of "studio masterpieces" were created by artists who established
themselves as live performers first. I bet we all have our favorite "studio
masterpieces" by unknown artists because the artist didn't go out and hit
the road either before or after the creation of said masterpiece. I also
believe very deeply, and largely from personal experience and observation,
that the music *business* is one of the worst in the Western world, and one
must be either extremely unbalanced or extremely focused to be a part of
it.
Lots of brilliant music will be made, and kept within a small circle of
devoted listeners, because the means of mass distribution is corrupt.
dB