Re: OT: ASCAP/BMI and music licensing

Yeah, but as you resent the cafe owner collecting money at the end of
a night and driving home in his Merc, there are plenty of coffeehouse
musicians who aren't eligible for ASCAP health care who aren't going
to be moved by your dental care windfall at the expense of their
monthly gig.

The reason to play places that don't pay you is that the need to play
music is great, the number of musicians willing to play for no direct
monetary compensation is large, and the number of paying places is
small.  I mean, they don't pay the painters who hang their art on the
wall for a month either, but artists need exposure, whereas cafes
don't really need local art and music.