Re: surround looping

well, what i was actually alluding to was the "overkill" nature of
the more is more philosophy. while i totally concur with your
observation of the directional nature of subwoofers - anyone
who has gone to a contemporary dance music club knows -
i also know from personal experience that surround can tend
to "fall apart" when levels get so high that the ambient din
overwhelms the original source. why bother? but then my own
interests lie in sonic detail and localization rather than the very
different needs of a cinematic surround system.
best
bruce

On May 20, 2005, at 2:51 PM, Richard Zvonar wrote:

> At 2:34 PM -0400 5/20/05, bruce tovsky wrote:
>> i think it must be akin to those heavy metal guitarists who use
>> 20 marshall cabinets (granted i've heard that a lot of times only
>> one is plugged in) on stage. more is more. does sound a little
>> teeth rattling, doesn't it?
>
> Different situation, I think. The heavy metal guitarist is creating a
> massive monaural sound field. The multiple speakers in a large
> surround setup are being used to articulate sound in space.
> --

> Richard Zvonar, PhD
> (818) 788-2202
> http://www.zvonar.com
> http://salamandersongs.com
> http://ill-wind.com

bruce tovsky
www.skeletonhome.com

"To know is nothing at all; to imagine is everything."
Albert Einstein