Re: Fill my rack!

Thanks for the condolences, but I'm fine.  More than
fine actually, really happy.  Some doors close others
open.  The interesting thing is early in the
relationship I saw the end so when it came I was all,
"Oh yeah, of course."  Sad as it may be, some people
seem intent on reliving past trauma and keeping their
life chaotic.

Back to the topic...

I'm seeing something that's very, very interesting.
In my research I'm finding that it's as if we've
reached some kind of plateau.  When I started all this
madness so much was NEW.  Now it seems as if we've
reached the end of something.  Most modern hardware is
either digital emulations of the past (some very good)
or rehashes of the same basic effects we've had since
the 80s.  Most of you know this, but I used to work
for Laurie Anderson for a short time.  I saw her a few
years ago doing her Moby Dick tour, and (the show was
excellent musically) I thought, "There's nothing she's
going that can't be done with a computer and some off
the shelf software."

That's both exciting and sad.  Have we done everything
that can be done sonically?  How postmodern!  It seems
as if I've built the studio I always dreamed of.  Kind
of weird when you get to a point like this.  I've been
putting this together since 1980... and now it's over?
 Kind of cool.

On the other hand, it seems that there are some new
things coming out but they're software.  As much as
I'm a fan of dedicated hardware, I think this point in
time is it's swansong.  Perhaps it's time to keep this
space in my rack open and upgrade my G4 500 laptop to
something beefier.

Mark

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2845073

http://www.netmusic.com/web/album.aspx?a_id=CBNM_17314