Re: DVD Re: CD SALES DECLINING?

Travis Hartnett wrote:

> That's good for people who enjoy gigging, live where there's
> sufficient opportunities, and who offer a compelling performance
> experience, but not so good for people in the sticks who don't shine
> on stage, or whose music doesn't translate as well to the live
> format...
>
> On 1/8/06, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill <rs@moinlabs.de> wrote:
>
>> So for us non-signed artists, it's back to make money from performing
>> (just
>> the way it was before the advent of CD recording technology at your
>> fingertips).

Hmmm...  Let's see...
I'm in a Progressive Rock band.  Because our music flies over the heads
of the head bangers and blues lovers in the area, there isn't much in
the way of gig potential.  Philly and NYC are just too far to go unless
the rewards are significantly more than $50 each.  I'll play for free
but you have to pay me to schlep all that gear up from my basement, load
the car, drive around using $2.50/gal gas, unload the car, set up the
gear, tear down the gear, load the car, drive, unload the car, and
schlep the gear back into the basement.  Our only hope is to get into
some of the Prog festivals like BajaProg, Progfest, NEARfest, ROSfest,
CalProg, etc.  If we break even on meal, travel, and hotel costs, we're
hopeful to recoup our CD expenses and put a dent into financing our next
CD.

Actually, it looks like we actually do have a slim chance that we might
get to play festivals.  I much prefer them over bar gigs!  Now if we
could only get a few local gigs as warmup to the main event...

My other bands that have CDs...
One is a Celtic influenced band.  We do OK on local gigs but CD sales
have been onesy-twosy despite the high affluence of our usual crowds.
Another band is an electronic music chamber ensemble.  We're just too
avant-garde to make the sales, even among EM fans.

But I love music and I have to do it.

Cheers,

Bill