Re: Guitar Craft

I have never taken a GC course, so understand that I'm speculating
based on what I've read.  It seems to me that...
1) According to the literature, you don't have to have any experience
on the instrument before your first GC course, though I imagine
absolutely no experience would make things very difficult (simply
tuning up and fretting notes, for example, are arduous tasks for
newbies.)
2) Proper technique is the goal of initial courses.  To be specific,
much of the existing technique a new student brings with them will be
shelved and proper technique will be taught from scratch.
3) "What to play" will also be taught in the context of listening,
assessing your position in whatever musical context you find yourself,
and playing the right thing based on that knowledge.  However, it
seems that how to play is the focus of early courses, with what to
play taking prominence in more advanced courses.

I too have vacillated on attending a GC course and the cost has always
prevented me from doing it.  However, I like to think that I have
benefited to some (very small) degree from what I've read, though I'm
sure the face-to-face instruction and total immersion are invaluable
to internalizing the craft.

If you do end up taking the course, I'd love to hear how it turns out.

Todd