replace mode by function (was: Re: EDP more loops question)

> SwitchQuant has a lot of options, depending on how you want to work.
> I use SwitchQuant=CnF, (Confirm) , so that I can hit Nextloop to select
> the destination loop and then the change happens immediately on the next
> press of Record/Overdub/Multiply/Insert/Undo. This way I can chose what
> happens when going to the next loop, and have it happen exactly when I
> want.( the downside is that it's always 2 presses to make it happen, so
>it
> needs some practise to do quick changes)

I've been thinking about this, also in other contexts of EDP control.

The idea would be: By using a MIDI footcontroller, get rid of the EDP's
concept of modes (which are perfectly suited for the situation with the
EFC-7!) and instead offer different versions of the same function by
sending a preprogrammed sequence of commands to the EDP.

Using the SwitchQuant example from above, you could program two NextLoop
buttons on your MIDI footcontroller:
Button A for "immediate switching" would first send the required SysEx- or
Note-commands to change the EDP SwitchQuant  mode to OFF and then send the
Note-command for NextLoop.
Button B for "confirmed switching" would first send the required SysEx- or
Note-commands to change the EDP SwitchQuant mode to CnF and then send the
Note-command for NextLoop.

So instead of adhering to the EDP's mode concept where a function behaves
according to a previously configured EDP mode (which you must keep in the
back of your head while playing: a cognitive burden), you offer two
different functions (which work always the same, ignoring the current EDP
mode).

This would be interesting also for the insert and substitute-commands...

Bernhard