Re: replace mode by function

hi Bernhard,

Interesting concept.
...and even FCB1010 owners can try it, as the same idea works with the EDP
presets, which can be called up with Midi Prog Change. (the FCB can send
PC followed by CC in one press)

The reasons I don't follow this approach are
1) The EDP is left in the changed "mode" after the button press, so you
now have something extra to remember.
2) It uses up a lot of buttons, so it means that you end up with more than
one banks of controls on the foot controller.

In both cases here, the "cognitive burden" is brought back up again :-(

Generally I think the big strength of the EDP is it's user interface, the
way it's possible to get so much functionality out of just a few buttons.
Usually those buttons all do something useful, whatever state the edp is
in. If the price for that is 2 button presses rather than 1 (often the
case) to get where you want then I accept that cost, partly because it's
fun for the feet, and partly because the alternative is either less
flexibility, or having to use more than one bank on the midi controller
(which is even more button presses, and pretty dangerous in a live
situation.)

I notice that the current trend, with LP-1 and Mobius (for instance) is to
create the scenario where you can do a whole bunch of stuff with one
"button".

Could this be seen as

Looper as instrument vs. Looper as effect ?

In which case the "edp" approach is the "getting your hands dirty actually
doing it yourself even if you have to practise the moves" way compared to
the LP-1/Mobius way of "once it's set up, I just press a button and this
wonderful thing happens".

andy butler