Re: Low Lantecy Soundcard for Laptop Gig

On 29 jul 2007, at 22.51, Krispen Hartung wrote:

> The only thing  I don't like about the Indigo IO is that its input
> is only line level.

I too have an old Indigo IO, almost worn out today, the jacks have
become glitchy... I agree that it's nice and convenient to bring for
gigs. Never the less I only used it for rehearsing because the output
sound is not at all as good as I had with my RME Multiface (and now
with the FireFace400). For electric guitar that doesn't matter IMO
but when playing flute it really sucks with some fidelity trade-off.

>> So I have shyed away from Macbook with its
>> lack of CardBus support. Firewire just doesn't seem to be built for
>> ultra-low latency performance (that's my opinion).
>
> Really? Is this because of the speed of firewire?

Yes, Kris. PCI and PCMCIA are a little faster than FireWire. Not much
though.

But you, Mercury, is a keyboard and piano player. Myself I can take
some latency because the instrument I have played the most is
electric guitar and then you always have latency depending on the
distance to your amp and speaker. As long as a delayed signal is not
merged with a not delayed signal, creating phasing errors, I can
accept a little latency. And with laptops you don't have a problem at
concerts with the audience hearing a different latency than you hear.
That problem is what you get on stage if playing electric guitar at a
distance from your amp/speaker if the speaker is amplified through a
PA system by closely positioned microphones. This might also create
problems for live experienced guitarists when recording in a studio
with headphones monitoring.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)