newb questions

Hello, I am very interested in live looping.  I know what I want functionally but I don't know what equipment has these capabilities.  My computer/software knowledge is also quite limited.

Here's what I'm after:

1. Four or more independent loop banks that will automatically sync and can be individually recorded, played back, stopped and erased at any time in any order.

2. Multiple inputs from different instruments and MIDI.  The ones I have in mind now are a Zendrum (MIDI drum controller) and an electric 7-string violin.  Maybe vocals too.

3. Everything (record, play, stop, erase, switch tracks) controllable on the fly from stomp buttons.

4. Save and download part or all to an external computer as desired.

Is there any hardware looper that can do all this?  The closest I've seen is Digitech's GNX3 or 4.  I'm not sure if individual tracks can be played and stopped at will; I know they can be erased.

My other option could be software-based with some kind of foot controller linked to a laptop.  Are there foot controllers that would work well for this?  How powerful a laptop would be required?

Thanks, I'm sure your answers will spawn a whole new set of questions!