Re: laptop joystick footcontrol

hi art, here some info on my foot control:

it took me a while to build it, but it is not really hard to do.
the joystick chip comes readily prepared with a row of pins that build a
matrix for the switching possibilities.
you can buy cables with little "shoes" on them that fit those pins, so you
don't have to solder anything to the pins directly.
these cables just have to be connected to give a signal. almost any button
can do that. go to an electronics shop and let them inspire you.

i put the controller into a little plastic box, put in some mono mini
jacks
and a stereo jack for the expression pedal.
the hardest was the soldering job on the jacks. i built them into the box
first and did the soldering inside the box.
that took me some time - but i can solder now, so that's fine.

when i built the box i wanted to have as many options to connect things as
possible. having just a single button, or a pair, or six, whatever. next
time i would probably look for a solution with just one thick cable going
the switches and that's it. all these mini jack plugs are a bit overkill.

in the pc i use a little prog that's called midijoy, to convert the signal
to midi.

i am really happy with the foot control via buttons - they have never
failed
me.
when setting up i have to restart bidule or disconnect/connect the usb
sometimes, but when it's up and running, it never crashes.

about the expression pedal: i have not found a way yet to use it in a
satisfactory way. i tried to control track volume in mobius and got
artifacts and stutters. my computer and esp. bidule programming knowledge
is
not sufficient to work around this, if you should find a solution, let me
know.

all the best - tilmann