Re: Tapping into your musical/improvisational ideas and skills for my classroom!

Funny, I had a guitar student this weekend and I taught him exactly
this practice!

He was good, so we took it to the next stage by introducing also triad
rhythms.

And the third stage is to implement the gained rhythm knowledge as up
and down strokes with the pick. To teach that I like to ask them to
not play a specific note on the guitar, simply pick a muted string and
be aware of the rhythm. While following the metronome beat the student
shall work on changing his picking frequency: 16ths leading into 8th
triads, jumping through maybe just a half bar of 32ds etc etc. The
goal is to build up intuitive reflexes to freely morph between these
five or six rhythm frequencies.

When applying this practice for the flute I work with vocal like
tongue phrasing for rhythmatized attack.

I always teach that rhythm is way more important to, initially, master
than tonality, if striving for expressive and creative playing.

per

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen