Re: Logic Pro 199,- download / Mainstage 2.2

Some quick MS info from the top of my head (bouncing out big files now
from a mix so I can't open the appl to check details):

Yes, you're right that MS works a lot like a mixer does, that's
correct as for signal routing. But MS also has its own concept for
controlling the mixer and inserted or (send/return) looped effects.
This concept builds has three aspects that are represented by three
alternative modes to work on your session:

1) Layout Mode - connect with the outer world by MIDI.
First window, called up by hitting cmd-1. Here you create the
graphical control symbols you need for whatever control you plan to
perform. Example: if you want to just record loops, overdub into them
and adjust loop feedback you need three the three objects 2 buttons
and one fader (or knob). Ok, drag in the objects and drop them inside
the Layout Mode window. Select an object and click "learn" in the left
column where the selected object's characteristics are displayed. Send
in external MIDI by kicking a MIDI floor pedal, pushing a keyboard
key, hitting a MIDI button or whatever physical control gadget you
happen to have connected to the computer. Done.

2) Edit Mode - connect with internal software world of effects, mixer
and instruments.
Second Window, called up by hitting cmd-2. Here you create patches.
For each patch you create and tweak channel strips holding effects and
instruments if an instrument strip (there are also audio strips). Note
if working on Patch Level or Concert Level. Any Aux Channel strip
(send/return fx loop for example) created on Global level will be
available in all other patches. But stuff you create at Patch Level
will only be available when that patch is the active patch (good way
to get rid of CPU intensive stuff when not needing them; swap to a
different patch).

3) Performance Mode (cmd-3) and Full Screen Mode (cmd-4) - gig matching
status.
Performance mode will let you keep other windows open, like if you
want to see the SooperLooper or Mobius GUI window beside Mainstage's
GUI. Full Screen Mode takes full advantage of the screen space and
pushes other applications into the background. Optimally stable and
looks good but you won't be able to check emails while in Full Screen
Mode ;-)

That's it. The trick to get into Mainstage is to know its two faces:
First create a graphic representation of your physical control gear
and and assign MIDI form physical to graphic objects, then assign
control bindings from graphic objects to musical parameters in the
software.

cheers

Per