STRATEGIES for REHARMONIZATION in LIVE LOOP COMPOSITION

STRATEGIES for REHARMONIZATION in LIVE LOOP COMPOSITION

I've been reading a lot of books on modern (and classical) harmony lately, in a desire to learn more about the use of substitutions in harmony in my live looping composition efforts.

In my own music, I've done a lot of exploration into ways to manipulate typical diatonic harmony, modal harmony and I've learned a lot about different world approaches to scalar playing.

Now, I want to investigate ways to purposefully play outside of scales outside of typical
straight modulation techniques.

So, I was wondering:

What are some tricks or strategies that you use to create either more complex harmony
(as opposed to purely modal or diatonic harmony) in melodic songwriting?

Rick Walker