Re: Analog looping

On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Dave Stagner wrote:

> I think maybe we've hit on a new thread here.  I'm sure most of us
> here would agree that digital sound involves some serious compromise,
> especially for highly dynamic, wide-range instruments like guitar.

I guess I'm the black sheep amongst us, then.  Yes, analog loop has its
merits, and one of my favorite Vortex patches is the one that simulates a
tape-echo with increasingly dark-toned repeats.  (Paul, plase do not
flame me for advocating the Vortex over the Oberheim, or I shall most
certainly implode from the humor of the scenario.  :-] )

As far as the old analog-vs.-digital debate, I can say that I've used both
formats for recording and can appreciate them both, although I do like the
fact that with digital I can anticipate what I'm going to wind up with
more readilly.  I haven't used an analog tape loop, but it seems to me
that you're more subserviant to the limitations of the technology; i.e.
you're gonna get diminishing fidelity and hiss whether you like it or not.

I guess it boils down to a matter of preference -- much like the choice
between the JamMan and the...  oh, you know...  that other one.

--Andre