Re: JamMan misleading

JJ rants:

>Um, WRONG here, Mr. Durant. While up until about 3-5 years ago quite a lot
>of effects boxes crossed to mono SOMEWHERE in the effects chain, ALL of
>them, if they had stereo outs, DID have different signals in each output.
>The
>JamMan, however... Stereo outs with identical output in each (oh, except
>for
>the virtually useless input signal being passed through). This *IS*
>misleading,
>no doubt about it.

Having different signals in each output is not stereo. If you were to make
loop of a stereo source in any of these devices, the original stereo input
would
be summed to mono, thus destroying the original stereo image. In the reverb
programs of these devices, the reverbs did not maintain stereo image. Now,
Digitech did come out with their TSR series (true stereo reverb) named
specifically to point out that they are actually stero. Unless you want
multiple
effects, at which point memory gets shared, and processing power is
limited, and
you're back to pseudo stereo land.

As for the "virtually useless input signal being passed through", I'll
refer you
to several people who have chimed in with their gratitude for this feature.

>Case in point: both Guitar Center and Musician's Friend, being major
>mailorder retailers of Lexicon products, *both* indicated, both in their
>printed advertising *and* in numerous conversations with supposedly
>knowledgeable sales people over the phone, that one of the major
>selling points of the JamMan was that it would loop in stereo. Now, if
>Lexicon
>WASN'T being misleading, why the hell did its retailers disseminate such
>supposedly obvious misinformation? And yet it's my fault for not figuring
>out that it was a mono unit before I bought it?

I'll refer you to several posts from the past year to give you my thoughts
about
the retailers. However: Lexicon neither writes nor has an opportunity to
edit
copy in Musician's Friend. (or any other mail order house) It is a constant
source of frustration, but no one (either their local rep or Lex's sales
managers) seems to be able to cure the problem. They do what they want
(which is
often wrong). As for GC, they have historically had the most turnover in
sales
staff, which leads to poor training, and bad information. Every
manufacturer
tears their hair out over this problem: they're the number one dealer in
the
country, and nobody gets decent information put across. Not Lexicon, not
Oberheim, not Digitech, not Paul Reed Smith, not Korg,not anyone. So as a
manufacturer, what can you do? Drop them and watch your sales drop by 30%?
Try
explaining that to the shareholders.

You're quite correct: it's not your fault that you were given incorrect
information from these retailers. And I'm personally very sorry if you
feel that
you were mislead. However: if you can find a piece of advertising material
from
Lexicon (not from a retailer) that indactes that it is a stereo looper,
(or any
other kind of stereo anything) than I'll accept that Lexicon is guilty of
putting forth misleading information.  What was always said was that it
was a 32
second (w/optional memory upgarde, 8 sec standard) looper/echo/sampler.
Which is
what it is. Mono or stereo was never discussed. No review ever errantly
claimed
it was stereo. (Or whined that it wasn't.) So at worst they're guity by
omission. Just like every other manufacturer in the MI world. BTW, when
anyone
called MY office and asked the mono/stereo question, they were told in no
uncertain terms that it loops in mono, but passes through stereo. Can't
vouch
for anything post February 96 since I've been gone since, but I never heard
anyone call it stereo while I was there.

Jon Durant