RE: Trying to get beyond Fripp?

>Andre:
>
>>Try this: Stop listening to Fripp and check out a very very different
>area
>>of music.  That sounds (and reads) a lot more harsh than it's really
>>intended, but I've always found that the best way to let an influence
>>assimilate into my collective unconscious, rather than sound like the
>>musical equivalent of a bad photocopy, is to get what I can from
>someone's
>>work and then go someplace very different.
>
>yeah, you're probably right.

Well, since we all listened to a lot of music and have some basic technique
and thus are stuffed with input, I would rather suggest to listen to *none
but your own music* for a while (it was a year, in my case). It does not
save you from going on with habits, and you may accept them as they stay
for some reason, but you might stop *following* someones light and thus
become more aware of your own. Either you get bored with yourself and stop
playing (could that happen?) or you are forced to developp into your own
direction. Since all in nature developps constantely... Faith - you get
helped!

Ok, it takes some isolation maybe. I did not go to concerts any more. I
played every night and recorded it and then had a smoke and listened to it,
looking for internal movement and relaxation, sometimes dancing alone. When
I went out to see friends, I took the latest tapes with me and showed them,
instead of listening to their music. After a year, noone could stand it any
more: "could we please listen to some normal music?". But by then I had
observed the reactions of mine and of listeners and was able to continue on
stage.
Once the process started, music from others does enrich it, but not stop
it.

Maybe I should live another phase like that - after the *&%# contract and
upgrade is done and you all understood how all works...
I definitally want to bring out my CD this year!

>I've already got one. <g> I've been using it for 2 years and it's a
>wonderful device. You can do things with it that Fripp hasn't done yet!

Look, one is going "beyond" soundwise! :-)

Thanks, David, for your teaching about the evolution from
"this-vs.-thatting".

Matthias