RE: Lumpy AC adapters

>I don't like them either but the alternative is power supplies and
>fans to make floor and rack gear bigger and more expensive.

I'd be happy to pay a little extra up front so that I wouldn't have to deal
with the ongoing expense and headache of wall warts. Actually, I'd pay
quite a bit more, but that's me. As far as space goes, big clunky wall
warts and extra power strips are currently taking up a lot more of my space
than rack gear with internal supplies which may be an inch or two deeper
because of it.

>Actually  a lumpy supply saved a home computer of mine
>(TI-99/4a early eighties with lumpy power supply)
>Lighting hit the house and ran through the basement wiring.
> Fried a mid 60's Zenith tube color TV  (burned the chassis beyond
>repair)
>blew out some diodes on the black and white TV (used as computer screen)
>the computer on same circuit was unharmed. Little lumpy survived also.
>Replaced the diodes on the B&W and the whole rigs still works to
>this day. (currently in a closet as I have two Macs. )

A power supply that passes the regulatory requiremnts enforced in most
parts of the world should not have these problems. The charge from the
lightning just gets shunted to ground or blows the fuse and never reaches
the equipment. If you want more confidence, power strips with surge
protection are pretty cheap.

Wall warts will also protect you from lightning, but only because the cheap
Chinese made transformer will blow up...;-)

kim