Re: gear schmear, music is best

Okay...good call.

my latest inspiration came from sitting in a Dallas seafood bar several
weeks ago.  There were 3 hanging tvs at different distances, all tuned to
different channels (one sports, one sitcom, one news station), plus two
or three conversations and the guy calling out orders and numbers.  It
was, basically, a slightly chaotic texture with clear, disparate sources.
As I changed my focus, I could change the nature of the "performance"
and, when I walked around the space, I could, of course, manipulate the
balance, drawing parallels of synchronicity through the polyphony.

In our Dallas band, GOUGE, most of us have loopers and we've been working
with the concept of selective listening.  We may start off absolutely
together, but, over time, we begin to separate in terms of tempo or tonal
center or even style...adding megaphone speeches or theatrical events
that stand in concert or contrast with any part of the overall.

If music reflects life, it's nice to play/hear music that reflects the
diversity of stimuli we're continuously faced with.  It's becoming
increasingly rare to do just one thing at a time and it's likely in the
future we'll have tv, radio, even movies that include multiple images,
multiple songs and multiple plots all at the same time.

I believe loopers are ahead of their time in this regard with their
ability to clone their own images.  I'm looking forward to a device
that creates holographic images of the performer that appear with each
loop, so there's a "fan" of images standing there, building audio/visual