Re: gear schmear, music is best --> Loop dynamics

Chris Chovit wrote:
> It seems that there are two extremes:  Pure repetition and pure chaos.

  I have one solo electric guitar tune that starts with repetition and
progresses to chaos. I start by recording a very simple E riff on my
Boomerang, then layer the same part an octave up, then layer a chord
pattern based on Em7. I play the melody or hook mixed with some soloing
over this. All pretty straight so far.
  Then I start adding parts that are at first harmonically
complimentary, but I ocaissionally slip in a flatted 5th or the major
scale 7th - very dissonant. Over time I add more clashing notes and
progress to adding noises: racking pick over strings, playing above the
nut, vibrato effects, etc. Finally I reverse playback direction on the
noise symphony and fade to black. If I've done it well, the transition
from heavy but melodic tune to industrial mayhem is very smooth and
interesting.
  Another technique I use that makes for some interesting creations is
this. Play a very long scale based riff - essentially attempt to play a
good melody line. Then play this back in reverse. It seems to be the
case that if a melody sounds pleasing forward, it will probably sound
good in reverse. Now the challenging part. I compose an accompaniment
that supports the reverse melody. The choice of chords, inversions, etc.
really affects the mood of the composition.
  Just some ideas to try...

Motley