Re: gear schmear, music is best --> Loop dynamics

At 7:16 AM -0800 6/19/97, Chris Chovit wrote:

>This is what I am trying to work towards.  I am just now starting to
>explore the possibilities of the NextLoop function on the Echoplex DP.
>Has
>anyone experimented with loading a bunch of really similar loops in there,
>then changing between them with Next Loop function, to give the
>impresssion
>of movement, without a drastic change?  Has anyone experimented with using
>MIDI commands (perhaps driven by a sequencer) to switch between the loops?
>Any startling revelations in this area?  Also, anyone using interesting
>tricks with the feedback pedal to introduce dynamics?  If so, please
>explain!
>

>(sorry if I reverted back to gear talk, kim...perhaps there is a "loop"
>quality to our talks, as well.
>
>Chris

Like Matthias said, discussions about how we create the music is not quite
the same (or as dull) as talking about gear features ad nauseum....

One thing I like to do with multiple loops is pretty much what you are
talking about. I record something simple in the first loop. Then I'll copy
that one to Loop 2, and add something to it there. I might go back to loop
1 for a while, then copy it to loop 3 and add something different.  Repeat
as desired....

Since the copying happens in real time, and you can overdub new things as
you do it, the performance is not interupted at all. It's essentially
multiplying, but in a new loop.

Moving between the loops then has a nice effect, because they are all
related by the common base, but have different overdubs and other
manipulations. And it is nice when you have a dense loop built up, to
sometimes return immediately to it's simple beginning. And maybe back
again, or whatever. It's really easy to control this, so it's a nice way to
keep a loop changing in the background while you are improvising something
over it. You can definitely create a more "composed" feeling to your loop.

kim