Re: The LOopDoctOrs calm down...

At 12:44 AM -0700 6/19/97, mgsam@wave.net wrote:

>Incidentally, now that I have the thing open, I am going to attempt the
>pin
>cut mod and the gain mod.  Do you have any favorite tools for the pin cut
>mod? I notice the #5 pin is a very tight squeeze.

good pair of electronics cutters? x-acto knife? I'm probably not a good
person to ask, not being an electronics tech. When I go in the lab these
days, technicians go out of their way to help me with soldering and what
not. It's not so much cause I'm a nice guy and they want to help, but
because it's a lot less work to do it for me upfront than fix everything I
break later...;-)

>And are you simply desoldering and resoldering the resistors to modify the
>gain, or are you clipping them out and then soldering in?

The right way would involve removing the pcb, desoldering, etc. That's a
pain, so the way I would do it is to apply the iron to the lead on the top
side of the board, and yank it out with a needle nose when the solder
melts. (same with the other lead) Then I'd stick in the new resistor and
solder it from the top. The holes are plated through, and usually there's
enough of the plating exposed to get the heat on it.

clipping them out seems like a bad method, because the little bit of metal
left in there is likely to fall through and bang around inside forever.

Again, I'm probably not the best source of advice on such matters.....