Subject:      GT-5 discovery
From:         dpcoffin@aol.com (Dpcoffin)
Date:         1997/08/22
Newsgroups:   alt.guitar
[More Headers]

I just discovered an amazing looping application on the Boss GT-5, which
has only 1800ms of delay. BUT, it has a delay spill-over function such
that if you write the same delay patch to several presets then change the
other non-delay perameters, when you select the different patches with a
loop running, the held delay contents carry over to run thru whatever new
fx are set up the different presets (still on Hold, even tho the control
pedal--set to activate hold--now is OFF; hit it twice to fade away the
loop, in any of the presets). Each one can be completely different except
in the delay settings--i just chose max delay and set up the hold
thing--including what kind of basic voice you'll have in that preset:
acoustic, ring mod, synth, pitch-shifted, whatever. So, with a bank of
five such presets, you can create a loop with any of the five different
voices, and send that loop to five different post-processing
configurations. I've got auto wah set up after the delay in each, so I
have five different frequency sweeps to choose to send my loop thru, with
the expression pedal set to master level. Sending thru a synth or ring mod
voice, with slowly shifting auto wah, on which the frequency rate is being
swept by the internal triangle wave, is amazing, plus I've got 4 other fx
chains I can send it thru, and on each one there's a different guitar
voice I can play over it, let alone the other outputs on my three-output
guitar. This technique has kept the same little synth figure entertaining
thru the entire course of writing this post...it's always changing as the
wah brings things in and out. I've only just discovered this, so I'm sure
there are many variations...there's also a sound-on-sound function that
will probably work the same way. whew! this is a serious box!
dpc
Anybody know if there's a GT-5 user group/web-ftp site?

Darcy Clark
Materials Science and Engineering Department
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI, 48109-2136
USA
Room    2130, Dow Building