Re: Logic Audio Users

> From: G. Peterson <rainham@connection.com>

> Hi all, I am considering purchasing Logic Audio
> recording/sequencing system(software and card) for windows 95
> I would be very interested to hear any feed back, good or bad from users.

I've been using Logic Audio for a little over 2 years now.  I love it!!
It's a little intimidating to learn at first but once you figure a few
things out it's really quite simple to use.

> As I am mainly an anolgue type guy (guitars and old pedals), one of my
> concerns is being able to process some of the tracks through some older
> funky outboard effects at mixdown.

You'll probably want to invest in a mixer to do this effectively.  I use a
Mackie 1604 at home, but anything will work.  My soundcard only has two
outputs, but by panning vocals to the right and everything else to the left
I'm able to process the vocals separately.  Of course, this arrangement is
pretty limiting if you are doing a full blown mix but it can be made to
work.

> Someone suggested Logic Audio as it has 8 outs which should make
> thispossible for me.

Emagic's soundcard is called Audiowerk 8 (retails for around $650).  It's
18 bit, 2 analog inputs, 8 analog outputs, stereo S/PDIF in/outs.  You also
might want to check out Event Electronics soundcards.  Their
top-of-the-line Layla soundcard is only $899 and has 8 in, 12 out and
S/PDIF in/outs.  Under that they have the Gina and one other card.  I think
the Gina is pretty comparable to the Audiowerk 8.  There are tones of other
cards out there as well.

> Is this system worth considering or would I be better off (less grief)
for
> instance just running an Adat and a mixer for my home studio writing?

Yes, the system is worth considering.  Having the ability to rearrange your
songs after the fact is wonderful for songwriting proposes.  Just remember
to get yourself a BIG hard drive...you'll need it.  With an ADAT you'll
sacrifice the ability to rearrange and cut and paste your songs, but gain
the ability to take your tracks to just about any studio in the world
without hauling in your computer and/or hard drive for mixdown or whatever.
 It really just comes down to how you see yourself working.

Hope that helps!

Matt