Re: Nels Cline

hovard@online.no wrote:

> I`m sitting here with a feeling that I have heard about Nels Cline
>before.
> I think it  was a "hometown hero" thingy in Guitar Player/World.
> Does anyone else remember this?  Is Nels Danish , by any chance???

Guitar Player had a short profile on Nels in the 12/97
issue. I don't know why they didn't put him (or Fripp,
Frisell, Frith, Derek Bailey, etc.) on the cover instead
of a montage of classic rock players hyping a story that's
nothing but a list of gear (and Kim thought WE were nerds?
"30 Tones that Changed the World (and How to Get Them)" is
the cover story for the last issue of your 30th
anniversary year?)

> I am a huge Frisell-addict and I`m curious of what "Power Tools"
>are/is/was?

Power Tools was a band who made a cool album on the
Antilles label called Strange Meeting. Bill, Melvin Gibbs,
Ronald Shannon Jackson. Out of print, but not impossible
to find. Probably the most aggressive (w/o the pomo
distance of say, Naked City) work Bill's done. Reminds me
of live Hendrix a lot of the time in that the guitar and
drums are playing very busy back and forth, while the bass
is trying to hold some kind of center-not that that's not
cool, you could apply the same description to a lot of
live Coltrane, and Melvin Gibbs is a formidable bassist
who's way more versatile than Noel Redding was... blah
blah blah. Get the album. You won't regret it, if you're a
Frisell fan.
--
Jeff Schwartz
jeffs@bgnet.bgsu.edu