Re: looping and Punk@!%!!

David Kirkdorffer wrote:

> It's been a hoot reading people's top 10 lists.  Certainly, it's nice to
> know where our ears have been.
>
> I noticed very few Punk stylings in the inventories.  Now, I'm not
> trying to say Punk is good or bad nor do I care about definitions much
> (please, let's not go there...).
>
> But - are there any PUNK Loopers out there?
>
> David Kirkdorffer

Throbbing Gristle immediately springs to mind. Early Caberet Voltaire
kinda falls into a category that has its roots in punk.

How can anyone forget Alien Sex Fiend. The Butthole Surfers have been
looping for years.

Ministry certainly springs to mind as the most modern and recent version
of Punky Loop stuff ( though today they have turned into more or less a
genereic thrash band. )

Remember Controlled Bleeding ???

What about the entire slew of artists you'd find on the Wax Trax Label
back in the mid to late 80's - These guys were all punkers or rather
punkers with synths and samplers.

RaPeman &  big black; aka - steve albini looped beats and loud guitars
so well Ministry decided to cop his entire sound when they found their
guitars and amps in a jungle of roland drum machines.

Skinny Puppy, & Naubauten ( spelling ???)& Wire all qualify as groups
that came from or out of a Punk Rock Perspective.

pUnk died a long time ago, close to 20yrs ago now (1979 and its still
being approriated and slammed - probably forever.

it seems punks impact is stil felt today. you can reasonably argue both
objectively and effectively 2 differing points :

punks influence was and is for the either better or the worse of things
over the last 20 yrs.

Its safe to say Punks impact is still being felt or rather unfolded
today though nowhere near the threat, sincerity and vitality that it had
while it was really living.