RE: domain name stuff

At 7:30 AM -0800 11/30/97, JT wrote:
>Michael PETERS wrote:
>>It's about $100 *each year*. Correct me if I'm wrong. (I'm in Germany
>where
>>prices might be different.)
>
>Internic registration in the US is $50/yr, but you have to pay the first
>two years in advance ($100).  After the first two, you can pay year to
>year.

that's right.

>Michael PYCRAFT wrote:
>>I thought it was much cheaper than that - there are often banners on
>search
>>pages advertising "yourname.com" services for $40/year I think.
>
>That is for the actual hosting service after the internic registration.
>And $40/yr. is cheap enough that I would probably avoid it.  It sounds too
>good to be true.
>
>JT

There's usually a good reason why it's that cheap. Probably they make most
of their income of advertising and selling addressess to spammers. Or their
servers are extremely old and slow, meaning page downloads will take
forever. Plus a lot of people use them to send spam, meaning the host gets
blocked by anti-spam programs on all of the other servers in the world. I'd
stay very far away from anything like that.

A more typical web hosting charge is about $30/month for the basic level.
For that you should get fast, reliable servers, tech support people,
25-50MB of disk space, proper management of domain name serving, mail
forwarding, and that's about it. Things like email accounts, mailing list
serving, statistical reports on site hits, etc usually have some additional
fee.

If we were going to switch Looper's Delight to it's own domain and server
environment (outside of my account), I would only want to do the
professional, correct way. I wouldn't want to take a chance on things
getting completely screwed up on some fly-by-night ISP scam. And before we
made the correct change, I would want to be sure that it had somehow
developed a reliable trickle of income to support it's costs over an
indefinite period of time. Until we manage to get that organized, it will
probably stay the way it is.

kim