        From:   pycraft@elec.gla.ac.uk [SMTP:pycraft@elec.gla.ac.uk]
        Sent:   Tuesday, December 02, 1997 2:41 PM
        To:     Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
        Subject:        Re: Re[2]: The 2nd CD project.

        >My estimates were based on a cost of $1200 for 500 CDs.  With
12 submitters
        >the cost per person is $100...which seemed reasonable and
do-able to me.
        >That being said, we could cut a few corners, lower the cost and
the need
        >for 12 submitters, and hopefully keep the cost around $100
each.  For
        >instance, we could go with a 2 panel booklet instead of 4, b&w
instead of
        >color, etc.

        If the average length of a CD is 72min (I know it's longer but
bear with
        me), this works out at $100 for 6 min (or 28c/sec!)...   I think
no track
        should exceed 10 minutes, just to stop one player dominating the
CD.

        >I'm sure we would all like to hear what everyone is up to BUT I
think some
        >of us would also like to have a project pay for itself
(marketable slick
        >product).

        How about a "flagship" CD plus a "everyone together",
not-as-slick double
        TAPE (ie much cheaper) with everyone?  If everybody knew what
everyone else
        was doing, people would be more willing to form "cliques" of
music which
        would sit well together and do it themselves.  Hey!  Tape tree!

        Michael