Re: IMPORTANT: Looper CD final word

Marathon Records wrote:

> Greetings all!
>
> Matt McCabe, your friendly neighborhood CD coordinator, here.
>
> If you did *not* receive an email from me entitled "the Looper CD details
> are here!!!" according to my records you are *not* interested in
> participating.  If you are interested, email me ASAP!!  I'll only be
> posting occassional updates about the project to this list from now on.
>
> Feel feel to check out the following web page for information on what
>this
> project is all about.  If you don't have web access let me know and I'll
> email you a copy.
>
> http://www.joshuanet.com/marathon/Looper_CD.html
>
> Matt

> Matt McCabe
> Marathon Records
> Finley Sound Design
> http://www.joshuanet.com/marathon

Hello - My name is Doug and I am new to LD. I've been reading all this
e-mail from you guys w/ interest. Please add me to your list of possible
contributors to the CD project. I am primarily a synthesist/electronic
musician. I often mix in some electric guitar and/or ethnic percussion
flavors with my music. A lot of the stuff I do involves some degree of
looping, which I accomplish thru synth programming, delays, sequencing
and hard disk recording.

A couple of years ago, I participated in a compilation CD of
ambient/electronic music composed by artists from the Pacific Northwest.
Each of us contributed $200 and got 20 CD's. I got 2 tracks on the CD.I
believe 1000 of them were made and all or nearly all sold. The project
was concieved by one of the artists, who put up most of the $ and got
half of the CD's. He called for submissions and picked the trax he liked
best. He was overwhelmed with submissions. The whole thing was a lot of
fun for me and I still get a kick out of the fact that some of my music
is on it.

As a newcomer, I don't want to overstep my bounds, and it certainly
sounds like this group is abundantly populated with talented artists,
technicians and even a couple of comedians. But since I did got thru
this experience, Here are acouple of things you might consider as the
project develops: 1) Set some parameters for the contributors in terms
of length, format, recording quality, etc. and be prepared to reject
those that don't meet them. 2) You can reduce your costs by doing your
own artwork - sounds like you have some loopers with such talents. 3)
You might want to consider drafting some type of agreement for
participants to sign which spells out how things are going to work.
While this may be very unpopular with some, it really helps to avoid
misunderstandings and bad feelings down the road. I work as a contracts
administrator and put something together for the above project and would
be willing to do the same here if you want to go in that direction. 4)
Professional mastering is very important. I believe one looper indicated
he had the tools and expertise to do this - if possible it would be a
good idea to take him up on his offer.

I know you've touched on most of this before, but I just wanted to get
in my 2 cents worth (and introduce myself). Thanks