RE: PMC-10

At 12:37 PM -0500 12/19/97, Hogan, Greg  (Exchange) wrote:
>       Miko said and asked:" I've been hoping to see more sturdy units
>capable of
>>      assigning multiple controllers to one ex-ped or another. And the
>>      ability to assign each individual controllers midi channel as
>> well.
>>      This gives you the ability to control several midi module real
>> time
>>      controllers with a single pedal.
>>
>>      Has anyone tried the new Lexicon MXP floor controller? What is
>> it's
>>      architecture like? Is it easy to program?"
>>
>>      There was a lone reply from our kindest forum host which
>> stated:"Isn't the Lex pedal only dedicated for the MXP? I didn't think
>> it was actually a midi pedal, but I could be wrong."
>>
>Yes, The MPX R1 does MIDI.  It is meant to give you control of all
>things MIDI.

ah, thanks for correcting me, Greg.

Some other questions, in addition to Miko's:

- Can the footswitches be programmed to act in a momentary or toggle
function? Momentary meaning you press the switch and one midi string is
sent, when you let go of the switch, a second midi string is sent. Toggle
meaning the first time I press a given switch, it sends one string of midi
commands, the second time I press it it sends a second string. The most
obvious example of momentary is playing notes or chords on a synth, where
press down on the switch sends the note-on and releasing it sends the note
off. Toggle is useful for a stomp-box like approach, where you might have
one effect assigned to a given switch. So you press that switch and the
effect comes on, press again and it turns off. The PMC-10 and Roctron
pedals can do these and I find it extremely useful.

- Does it have midi in? If so, can it do things like midi merge, midi
filtering, etc.?

- Can you send all possible midi commands? For example, I want to send
note-on, note-off to synths and samplers. I'd also like to send start-song
and stop-song messages to sequencers. And for any commands not explicitly
available, I'd like to be able to send sysex, or even just directly type in
the hex for the midi command. (for example, I'm a long way from needing
this, but eventually I would like to use Midi Show Control for lighting and
such. If I could spontaneously set the lighting while playing, that would
be very cool. I wouldn't expect this in a midi pedal, but if I could type
in the hex for it myself that would be fine.) Again, I can do this stuff
with the PMC-10. But like Miko, if the pmc starts acting up I'd like to
know what else I can get.

- how many patches/banks/sets etc can it hold?

thanks,

kim