craft project

Hey kids,
If you're like me, you have a big swarm of strange cables
running from your pedalboard to your rack. I don't mean
the usual pedalboard action where the signal goes in one
end and out the other, but the kind where you have
footswitches and controllers for a bunch of rack gizmos.
For example, I have three footswitches and a pedal for my
Jamster & Vortex (side note-how long do you think it'll be
before these suckers go up so much in price that I'll be
afraid to take 'em to the gig, like a flametop Les Paul?)
and a footswitch for a ProCo R2DU (two Rats in a 1 rack
space box), in other words, four 1/4" stereo cables and 1
MIDI cable. I carry my crap around in a soft rack case,
tossing the pedals and cables in the back, since all the
devices are quite shallow. Needless to say, I had a
considerable spaghetti problem.
So, I decided to build my own snake. After a variety of
tape/twist-tie configurations failed, I got $.50 of fabric
at Ben Franklin and spent an afternoon sewing and
listening to Paul Bley albums. I made a tube 7.5'x 1.5"
and threaded my cables through it. Presto-quick and tidy
setup and teardown.
I suppose this little invention won't catch on because
it's getting easier and easier to get one big controller
that can run all your stuff or one gadget that does
everything and then some (G-Force? Eventide? Powerbook
with MAX?), but I figured I'd share my Martha Stewart
moment with y'all.
Oh yeah, under no circumstances read Mark Vail's Vintage
Synthesizers book. It's worse than pornography. I was
filled with an unstoppable violent lust for gear.
Fortunately for my finances, the only used gear store in
town is full of Samick guitars and Peavey amps cast off by
frustrated post-grunge teenage boys...
--
Jeff Schwartz
jeffs@bgnet.bgsu.edu