Re: Love lorne loopers(was slagging)

This whole "my wife listens exclusively to Ratt and/or John Tesh and
doesn't understand me and is frightened by my music" thing is kind of
uncomfortable.  I'm sorry you guys married un-adventurous listeners, and
I'm glad you can commiserate.  However, before you tar all women with the
same condescending brush...

[Gloat Mode] ...I would point out that I often eat lunch with a beautiful
young woman (you might know her, actually) and we talk about Fripp, van der
Graaf Generator, the nerdy details of miking drums and placing them in a
mix, chordal harmony, subtle timbral differences in backwards waveforms,
microtonalism, etc.  Her roommate, another beautiful young woman, is a
Crafty and a total prog-head.  And my Stick-playing buddy Steve's wife
wrote her doctoral dissertation on the music of Gentle Giant. All of those
people live within a quick bike ride from me [/Gloat Mode]

I'm quite used to not finding ANYONE, male or female, musician or
non-musician, who shares my taste for Happy Family and Djam Karet and
obscure Bruford solo albums and rare PFM import vinyl and Glenn Branca
discs.  Sure, I'll evangelize the hell out of
avant/experimental/progressive/weird music to anyone I think might enjoy
it.  Bnd I don't hold it against anyone if they don't--I accept the fact
that *I* am the freak.  And Bob Forbid I should come across as one more
sanctimonious prog rock dickhead--the last thing art music needs is a
brotherhood of smug elitists carrying the torch.

Scott Bullerwell
tanelorn@dimensional.com
Boulder, Colorado, USA