Re: A new question

matthew hahn wrote:
>I have to agree on the subject of DJing.  I am not knocking it, but in
>deference to looping I'm willing to submit that DJing is more emotional
>than technical, more creation of moods from other people's music, than
>creating one's own.<

I think the hybrid form of DJ-sampler-musician is really happening, too.
Bands like Soul Coughing have been doing this for a while,even if that got
a bit stale. New York is definitely a hotbed for this sort of stuff.
Anybody heard/ seen Dave Douglas "Sanctuary" with A. Coleman and Yuka Honda
doing live sampling? How about B. Ostertag and "Say No More"? From the more
groove-oriented side, there are two bands here in Berlin who can really
move: "Paloma" and "Elektronauten". Other bands doing interesting stuff are
"Tarwater" and "Hexer", as well as "Mouse On Mars" from Duesseldorf. You
should be able to find out about  these bands in "The Wire" or similar
mags. And what about "Tortoise" from Chicago, anybody heard their new cd
"TNT"?

I'm not a DJ-DJ, so I haven't had a chance to try out cd-scratching either
- although I have seen the units around a lot. Anybody else? What looked
interesting was a delay-based table-top looping unit from Vestax for DJ's -
I bet you could create great transitions with that machine. Don't know
anything about the sound quality though ...

>In coincidence of what you are speaking, I'm in beginning German, have a
>couple friends there as well (Berlin), I also might be coming there in the

>summer.  I'm learning this because of G. sound history and my degree at
>U.T. Austin of communications sound production.

Well, tell me if you come - maybe we can meet up.  I can introduce you to
some folks here - even get you some DJ gigs!
BTW, Europe rules when it comes to actually getting paid! I'm originally
>from Vancouver, Canada where the "pay to play" concept is the norm. Hope
that this doesn't infiltrate Germany ...

Rob