Re: Akai S-20 vs. Akai S900 vs. Boss SP-202 (Dr. Sample)

At 8:04 PM -0500 3/8/98, Douglas Lawrence wrote:
>Hey all ... since the line between sampling and looping is kind of blurred
>these days, I thought some of you may have an opinion on a *mid-price*
>sampling unit. I'm a bass player and looking to use my EDP in conjunction
>with a sampler. I'd  sample groove loops, tasty over-dubs, background
>sweeps, or even replay loops that I downloaded from my EDP.
>
>It has to be easy to use live and in the $300-500 price range, so the Akai
>S-20, S900 and Boss SP-202 seem to be options. It also has to be easy to
>make samples, store the samples and possibly arrange them a little. The
>ability to use a trigger footpedal would be great as well. If anybody has
>any experience with these units, especially "live", comments would be
>greatly appreciated. Are there any other *good* samplers in this price
>range?

I played with the Boss a little bit. I kind of felt that the list of
features made it seem like a great deal, but the actual result wasn't so
great. It's nowhere near as versatile as  a more typical sampler, but it
doesn't try to be. It does bring out some features at a very affordable
price with some unique ideas. It's worth checking out, but you might want
to save your pennies for an MPC-2000 or the new yamaha A3000 that everyone
raves about. You'd have much better results for arranging, storing,
triggering, etc. Coupled with an echoplex, those would be very cool.

kim