Re: AW: Plex memory question

At 8:33 AM -0500 3/8/98, Michael Peters wrote:
>>For the echoplex, the max is four 4MB simms, for 16MB total. When
>>the echoplex first came out that memory cost about $800 - $1000,
>>now it's about $50-$70.
>
>maybe this has been addressed somewhere before, but ...
>I just upgraded the Echoplex that I bought a month ago - it had  4MB and I
>put 16 in.
>
>The memory was dirt cheap but I heard from several people now that the old
>30-pin Simms are becoming rare, and that it is quite likely that it will
>be
>very difficult to get them in a few months from now.

nah, lots of stuff still uses them. They might not always be available
everywhere, but there will always be someone selling them. Look at the zip
memory for the jamman, that was never even a standard computer product and
you can still buy those. There's always used and surplus dealers, too.

>Does Oberheim still use the old Simms - and isn't it possible to change
>the
>hardware to use the new ones?

It would require a new PCB design, which would be too expensive for a
relatively low-volume product like that. I wouldn't expect such a thing.

kim